Tuesday 9 July 2013

Geisha Girl

Hola amigos,
       I'm going to ditch the Spanish for a minute because we're heading to another country: Japan.  I've always loved Japan for it's anime, manga (Japanese comic books), language, and culture.  I especially love the geishas and maikos!
      For those of you that don't know, geishas are entertainers that dress up in white face paint and kimonos to play instruments, sit and speak with restaurant-goers, sing, dance, etc.  Maikos are their apprentices, and they will one day become full-fledged geishas themselves!
     Geishas and maikos traditionally wear white makeup which is said to have been popular in China then migrated to Japan, for the Japanese at one time held the Chinese in high regard and adopted many of their ways.  They also wear red eye shadow and red lipstick because red is a very happy color in Japan.  Source         
     Geishas typically take about 2 hours to do their hair and makeup, and I can't say I was any different! Here is what I came up with after looking at many different pictures of geishas and maikos for inspiration:

Yes it's my own hair! I curled it then teased it then used LOTS of hairspray.



Love


I hope you enjoyed it, thanks for reading!
~NomiGirl~
XOXO

No comments:

Post a Comment